The first time I made these beetroot and chocolate cupcakes was long before I had small boys to bake them for. I’ve only made them a couple of times since then as I now realise as a health conscious parent that they’ve got more sugar in than you might want to give your baby/toddler. On the plus side though they have a portion of veg in and good fats not just a dose of sugar/carbohydrate so if you feel the urge to eat cake it’s not all bad.
I struggle with sugar cravings at certain times of the month and often eat healthily by day then lose all will power by the evening and reach for sugary snacks. This week I decided to embrace the idea of a sweet elvenses after a slow walk home from school drop-off with Luca. I had everything I needed to make these beetroot and chocolate cupcakes, a willing helper and my list of favourite podcasts ready to play on Stitcher. When I reviewed the recipe I felt confident reducing the amount of sugar would make them more tooth kind without compromising the flavour. At nearly 2 years old Luca is such a lover of cake and all things sweet so this reduced sugar version is definitely the one I shall return to now (please note I didn’t say ‘low sugar’ as they’re not! – I’ve included the nutritional information at the end of the ingredients list)
I think this recipe could work with even less sugar with the addition of a banana. I reduced the sugar content by more than half that of the original recipe and switched out castor sugar for a 5:1 blend of coconut sugar and stevia. The quantities below made a tray of 12 cupcakes the perfect size for toddler hands (they look small in the picture below because I optimistically used muffin cases forgetting I’d halved the ingredients!)
Ingredients to make 12 cupcakes or 6 large size cupcakes
185g beetroot (one large beet)
150ml oil (I use rapeseed oil or coconut oil)
150g self-raising flour
50g dark chocolate melted or cocoa powder
50g sugar (I used coconut sugar this time)
Nutritional value per cupcake (calculated using the free app Myfitness pal):
213 calories, 17.6g carbs, 14.9g fat, 2.9g protein
To make beetroot and chocolate cupcakes
- Pre heat oven to 185°c
- Cook raw beetroot until soft or use pre-cooked shop bought beetroot and blend (I used the Magimix this time but have used a hand mixer before as well)
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs into the oil. Add to the cooked beetroot and mix well.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Add the melted chocolate to the egg/oil/beetroot mixture.
- If using cocoa powder instead of melted chocolate add it to your sifted flour in a separate bowl. Add the sugar and raisins. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix everything together lightly.
- Spoon the mixture into cupcake cases bake for 20-25 minutes until brown and risen or a fork comes out of it clean.