Meet my lovely sister-in-law Catherine and my secret muffin maker. Catherine came to stay for the weekend and we spent a fab Sunday afternoon cooking up the fruits of our morning allotment pickings. We picked the last of the damsons and made muffins and more dambeena cordial and froze what is probably the last of the autumn raspberries. The recipe we used for the damson muffins was from a 2007 copy of The Waitrose Good Food magazine.
275g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
200g caster sugar
100ml sunflower oil
250ml natural yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4.
- Thoroughly wash the damsons and cut them in half to remove the stones, being sure to cut out any bad bits. Roughly chop into quarters and set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl and stir in the sugar.
- Whisk together the eggs, oil and yoghurt in a separate jug. Stir this mixture into the flour until just combined. Add the damsons and stir again.
- When mixed, divide between a greased 12 hole muffin tin. Bake for about 15 minutes, until the muffins spring back when pressed.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack. Serve while still warm.
I always use cake cases inside cake tins. Partly because I don’t like making washing up harder than it needs to be but also because it’s a waste of good cake crumbs scraping muffins off metal. We experimented with a couple and spooned the mixture directly into the tin. They broke up a bit when lifted out because the cake mix is quite light and fluffly. I don’t think they would have stored as well as they did without the silicone case holding them together. It does mean your muffins will be more like cakes but on the plus side you’ll get 18 cakes instead of the suggested 12 muffins.
Did I mention that we shared our morning at the allotment with a constant stream of drizzle? No wonder we wanted to do some warming baking when we got back. It was brilliant having an extra pair of hands and as Piglet would say ‘it’s so much friendlier with two‘. So thanks for all your help in the kitchen Catherine and for picking these
so that I could do this
ps. a little nutritional info from The Waitrose magazine.
per muffin – 276 kcals, 10.9g fat, 18g sat fat, 0.4g salt, 23.2g sugars
If you enjoyed this recipe please consider sharing it and taking a look at my other Damson recipes here