I love eating chutney and I know it tastes better if you leave it but I just can’t! This is the perfect recipe for me; you can eat it straight away and it will store so you can make a big batch of it. This recipe is from Pickles and Chutneys from the Australian Women’s Weekly home library series.
what you need
4 large red onions (1.2kg) sliced
water 1.5 cups (375ml)
Malt Vinegar 1/2 cup (125ml)
Packed brown sugar 2/3 cup (130g)
Grated orange rind 2 teaspoons
Orange Juice 1/2 cup (125ml)
Raisins (my optional addition)
what you do
- add the sliced onions and water to a large pan
- leave uncovered and bring to the boil for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally (or until onion is soft and liquid has evaporated)
- add remaining ingredients to the pan: stir over heat, without boiling, until the sugar is dissolved.
- simmer, covered, for 30 minutes
- remove cover; simmer, stirring occasionally, for a further 30 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- spoon into hot sterilised jars; seal while hot (makes about 4-5 small jars)